diptam
06-05 10:40 PM
First of all after applying H1 extension you have a 240 day window when you wont be out of status even if your H1 expired ( as long as the extension is applied when the current was Valid). My H expired on Jan 29th and i applied on Jan 9th and the last 5 months i worked as usual without Visa or I-94 ( but in Status) ...
Don't worry at all - if by chance anyone reaches near 8 month/240 day finish line which is highly unlikely, pump in extra 1000 bucks and upgrade that to a Premium H and you must hear a decision within 15 days....
There are tons of options - even if Premium doesn't work still there are 2 more options ( of course within legal boundary )...
I applied for my H-1 extension in mid April and my current H-1 is valid till mid August. After reading about the waiting times in the posts above I am wondering what happens if I don't get the approval until mid August. Will I be out of status ?
Thanks
Don't worry at all - if by chance anyone reaches near 8 month/240 day finish line which is highly unlikely, pump in extra 1000 bucks and upgrade that to a Premium H and you must hear a decision within 15 days....
There are tons of options - even if Premium doesn't work still there are 2 more options ( of course within legal boundary )...
I applied for my H-1 extension in mid April and my current H-1 is valid till mid August. After reading about the waiting times in the posts above I am wondering what happens if I don't get the approval until mid August. Will I be out of status ?
Thanks
VisaHelp
07-26 09:21 AM
Sounds good, but I didn't apply for an extension. Do you think that makes a difference? I applied to TRANSFER my H1 from company A to company B. While waiting for the transfer my H1 expired. First of all, I didn't think I could apply for an extension while waiting for the transfer. But, even more importantly, I was told by my lawyers that I am not eligible for an extension because I applied for a green card through family, not employer.
I faced a similar situation during my first L1B extension. My L1 extension was filed, but not approved while my L1 visa expired. Per my (then) attorneys advice - it isn't an issue if the application to extend has been applied for. You can be out of status for upto 180 days in such situations. Only issue is if the extension is rejected during this period.
In the future, the receipt for having filed for extension before Visa expiry and/or Received Date on I-797 Notice of Action (approval) can be used as proof. Of course, travelling out of the country and back on a new visa removes the stigma of having been "out of status"
RFE is okay, but rejection is NOT! Do answer it (RFE) in time. Rejection can put you in trouble. Also if the period extends beyond 180 days due to RFE you will be in trouble ( I really doubt it happening but you never know)
I faced a similar situation during my first L1B extension. My L1 extension was filed, but not approved while my L1 visa expired. Per my (then) attorneys advice - it isn't an issue if the application to extend has been applied for. You can be out of status for upto 180 days in such situations. Only issue is if the extension is rejected during this period.
In the future, the receipt for having filed for extension before Visa expiry and/or Received Date on I-797 Notice of Action (approval) can be used as proof. Of course, travelling out of the country and back on a new visa removes the stigma of having been "out of status"
RFE is okay, but rejection is NOT! Do answer it (RFE) in time. Rejection can put you in trouble. Also if the period extends beyond 180 days due to RFE you will be in trouble ( I really doubt it happening but you never know)
Aah_GC
10-24 09:29 AM
Dear Friends - I have a question and would appreciate your thoughts.
My father visited us for 6 months and I have a copy of his visa and passport notarized. What are the rest of the formalities (W7 form et al) that I should complete so I get some exemption? Or have my assumptions been wrong?
My father visited us for 6 months and I have a copy of his visa and passport notarized. What are the rest of the formalities (W7 form et al) that I should complete so I get some exemption? Or have my assumptions been wrong?
delhirocks
06-17 04:13 PM
Labor process through PERM can take anywhere from 3 weeks to more than a year (after filing). Most time consuming part is (if you are just initaing the process with your employer) the pre-filing documentation.
If you have a masters or better, and your current job does not REQUIRE a Masters degree, then you might want to ask HR to change/tweak your job profile. If thats an option and they are willing to do it, might take some time, but in the longer run, you will be better off under EB2 than EB3.
You will need letters from all your previous employers, verifying the job discription
Once that is in hand, your company will have to post your job in a newspaper/internal company website/job board and also in a visible place in your company premises for a month (X + 30 days)
After that 30 day period, you wait for any responses for an addidtional 30 days (X+60 days)
After that, your company/HR/Lawyer would need some time to put everything together before filing (X + 70 days)
Bear in mind this is the best case scenario. I started the process in December mid...filed for Labor in 1st week of June.
On your second point (dates being current), Iam very doubtfull that by the time Iam ready to file for 140/485, the dates will be current.
And ofcourse, if this ain't too daunting, THE CIR might put a wrench in your best laid plans, There is a talk about May 15th being the deadline for this process, untill Oct-08 when the new point system comes into play...good luck
If you have a masters or better, and your current job does not REQUIRE a Masters degree, then you might want to ask HR to change/tweak your job profile. If thats an option and they are willing to do it, might take some time, but in the longer run, you will be better off under EB2 than EB3.
You will need letters from all your previous employers, verifying the job discription
Once that is in hand, your company will have to post your job in a newspaper/internal company website/job board and also in a visible place in your company premises for a month (X + 30 days)
After that 30 day period, you wait for any responses for an addidtional 30 days (X+60 days)
After that, your company/HR/Lawyer would need some time to put everything together before filing (X + 70 days)
Bear in mind this is the best case scenario. I started the process in December mid...filed for Labor in 1st week of June.
On your second point (dates being current), Iam very doubtfull that by the time Iam ready to file for 140/485, the dates will be current.
And ofcourse, if this ain't too daunting, THE CIR might put a wrench in your best laid plans, There is a talk about May 15th being the deadline for this process, untill Oct-08 when the new point system comes into play...good luck
more...
wandmaker
10-12 04:25 PM
My wife got her H1b in 2007 and she was working for the company for 1 year and then she delivered in Oct 08 and since Oct 2008 she's on maternity leave. She was supposed to join back but because of the downturn her employer asked to extend the maternity leave and its an year almost. During this whole period her employer is ok and he has not removed her job. Is my wife is in status? I read on the web that the maternity leave is mutual as long as the employer and employee exists its ok. But my question is that is there a time limit on that. Also she's not getting paid for the full year when she was on maternity leave. The state remains the same now also. So what are right steps to do.....
Change to H4 till the employer asks to join back and then change to H1?
Please suggest
As other posted mentioned, 6 months is ok and justifiable because most of the companies allow mothers to bond with the kid. 1 year seems a stretch! I agree with gcformeornot and my2cents, if you are unable to justify and prove the employer-employee relationship then she is out of status.
Change to H4 till the employer asks to join back and then change to H1?
Please suggest
As other posted mentioned, 6 months is ok and justifiable because most of the companies allow mothers to bond with the kid. 1 year seems a stretch! I agree with gcformeornot and my2cents, if you are unable to justify and prove the employer-employee relationship then she is out of status.
stevensjd
10-20 03:28 PM
"Service Center Processing Dates for Texas Service Center as of: August 31, 2008 " :confused::mad:
more...
ravi_hyd
10-30 10:44 AM
.
chanduv23
11-26 02:00 PM
Folks - due to an unforeseen emergency Attorney Prashanthi Reddy was not able to make it on November 20th to IV chat.
The next IV Chat with Attorney Prashanthi Reddy will be on Thursday, December 4th at 9.30 PM EST.
If there is any change that I know of, I will post it on this thread
The next IV Chat with Attorney Prashanthi Reddy will be on Thursday, December 4th at 9.30 PM EST.
If there is any change that I know of, I will post it on this thread
more...
EkAurAaya
07-17 12:09 AM
From what I have heard so far, you need the receipt number. Talk to your lawyer asap.
yes that is what my lawyer said, i think you need to include the a# once you have it from one application
yes that is what my lawyer said, i think you need to include the a# once you have it from one application
CantLeaveAmerica
07-21 05:26 PM
Also I forgot to add, did you file form G28 for your attorney to represent you in your 485 case? I am just thinking out aloud here and please verify with your lawyer....
If your attorney is representing you, then he gets the original RFE with the yellow letter and has to respond on your behalf with the info..you only get a copy of the RFE letter.
In my case, my attorney is not representing me and hence I got all the originals and it's my responsibility to respond to the RFE, not the lawyers.
Once again, these are just my thoughts. IV seniors can respond and also ask your lawyer.
If your attorney is representing you, then he gets the original RFE with the yellow letter and has to respond on your behalf with the info..you only get a copy of the RFE letter.
In my case, my attorney is not representing me and hence I got all the originals and it's my responsibility to respond to the RFE, not the lawyers.
Once again, these are just my thoughts. IV seniors can respond and also ask your lawyer.
more...
sdrk
07-09 07:34 AM
Reached on July 2nd, 9.01 AM through FedEx, mailed on June 29th
pmpforgc
10-20 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=bluekayal]Quick approval, applied on 10/17 and approved on 10/20 after continous LUDs. The customer service rep at TSC told me when I called this morning. Awaiting the 5 emails.
But on the I-485 things are bit muddy. TSC told me the fingerprint is stuck at FBI, FBI told me today they returned on the same day..Aug 22, 2006! TSA rep suggested we fax the TSC Director to request updating records. My boss did that. Lets see what happens.
Its a relief to have an approved I-140
va_il
02-13 08:57 PM
Thanks a lot for the information. Since I had sent my renewal application via courier, I never got any pick up slip. I have paid $15 for mailing service. What I am worried is that even if I drive 5 hours to pick up, if they haven't processed my application (its close to 4 weeks now since I have applied), I will run out of options. On the website they claim that they will process in 5 business days. I must have tried close to 5 different phone numbers multiples times for past week or so. I have also emailed and faxed my query multiple times. Same result - No response at all. I just don't get how work is done at the embassy.
I have no idea about all these complaints. I gave my passport for renewal on last thursday and i picked up new one on friday. Never heard of delays on this issue.
I have no idea about all these complaints. I gave my passport for renewal on last thursday and i picked up new one on friday. Never heard of delays on this issue.
more...
devamanohar
10-07 12:33 PM
My daughter is now 22 years old and filed I-485 on behalf of me in the year 2007. That time she was only 19 years.
Now she is planning to get married before getting a green card. Her bride-groom is H-1 visa and not applied for labor. Will her I- 485 application be cancelled?.
I am also porting to eb-2 in the next three months. I am hoping to get green card may be after Sept 2011.
Suppose she gets married before the green card what will happend to her case. Please I need advise.
Now she is planning to get married before getting a green card. Her bride-groom is H-1 visa and not applied for labor. Will her I- 485 application be cancelled?.
I am also porting to eb-2 in the next three months. I am hoping to get green card may be after Sept 2011.
Suppose she gets married before the green card what will happend to her case. Please I need advise.
GCwaitforever
06-20 03:35 PM
My mistake. Gsc999 has to refile with new employer and port old portability.
more...
dixie
06-20 01:56 PM
:(
I wish people here are more sympathetic to those who are ignorant about
the gravity of the current situation.
supers789,
this is the painful truth. Don't think about this too much....we are all coping with this. CIR seems to be dead...Will we get some other legislation to help us out? don't know, may happen...
Unfortunately, a good many people who havent joined IV yet are also blissfully ignorant of the gravity of the situation. They think its a temporary traffic jam, while in reality our path to a GC has been blocked by a landslide.The backlogs will keep on growing till the authorities (lawmakers in our case) clear the road .. or the affected traffic takes an alternative route.
I wish people here are more sympathetic to those who are ignorant about
the gravity of the current situation.
supers789,
this is the painful truth. Don't think about this too much....we are all coping with this. CIR seems to be dead...Will we get some other legislation to help us out? don't know, may happen...
Unfortunately, a good many people who havent joined IV yet are also blissfully ignorant of the gravity of the situation. They think its a temporary traffic jam, while in reality our path to a GC has been blocked by a landslide.The backlogs will keep on growing till the authorities (lawmakers in our case) clear the road .. or the affected traffic takes an alternative route.
skark
08-31 08:35 AM
I need some references of good consulting companies that have direct vending relationships with big companies. I will be looking out for contracting jobs since my current contract will come to an end soon and dont want to be on bench.
pitha
01-16 10:45 AM
This is exactly what I have been saying for the last couple of months. This CIR is going to doom all EB immigrants. Obama's immigration enforcer is Dick Durbin, he has all the "compassion" in the world for illegals, he sponsors dream act, he wants to give amnesty to illegals but when it comes to eb he wants all of us to be kicked out. "Change" is definetely comming, no doubt about it but it is going to be a rude shock for the eb community. A bunch of people gave me reds for pointing it out. CIR is a speeding train with Obama\Durbin\kennedy driving it, it will stop only for illegals, it will crush all eb people under it. Please wake up and stop cheering for CIR. Instead call congresswoman Lofgren and ask her for visa recapture. Dont mention anything about cir, just ask for visa recapture. She is the only democrat who gives a damn about us.
Nothing in this bill talks about the increasing EB VISA numbers but they have clause for the family based VISA numbers to about 1Million.I know Mr.Obama would bring "change" but it is not going to be good for us. Anytime he talked about legal immigration, he only made references to family based immigration backlogs. Never have I heard him talk about EB VISA backlogs.I think we are in for a change which not going be so good after all.
Nothing in this bill talks about the increasing EB VISA numbers but they have clause for the family based VISA numbers to about 1Million.I know Mr.Obama would bring "change" but it is not going to be good for us. Anytime he talked about legal immigration, he only made references to family based immigration backlogs. Never have I heard him talk about EB VISA backlogs.I think we are in for a change which not going be so good after all.
drona
07-11 02:54 PM
Let's get some stats on how many employment-based green card applicants are from the state of California. Perhaps they are printed on a DOS, USCIS web site or report. I am sure the number is high (San Jose etc.)
needhelp!
10-23 09:23 AM
bump