D4F
May 4, 09:04 AM
US is really going backwards. Here in Europe I have a HTC desire and iP4 both natively having tethering option... and it works :p
I WAS the one
May 4, 07:11 AM
Finally... They realized the word "Magic" is childish.
dsnort
Aug 1, 08:39 PM
The problem is that the license says that the limitations can change at any time, so one doesn't really know what one buys, even if one has read the license - which I'm sure most people has not. I don't believe that the complaint is first and foremost about the DRM (which one may have opinions about exactly how it is implemented and shared but most anyway recognises it as a necessary evil) but rather what is summarised in these two sentences: "it is unreasonable that the agreement the consumer must give consent to is regulated by English law. That iTunes disclaims all liability for possible damage the software may cause and that it may alter the rights to the music". I think most of us agree that it is not reasonable that that which we buy can destroy anything on our computer and that they can e.g. suddenly just allow me to play a song just five times. And even though we all trust and like Apple these sort of licences are getting sillier and sillier (and it is certainlly not just Apple, it is basically the whole industry) and I think it is really good that someone who has the time and knowledge to fight it takes a stand against it, even though I believe shutting down the store may be overkill but I'm sure it won't come to that.
Cheers,
Peter
I understand what you are saying, and empathize with your concern. I just find it bewildering that the focus of so much of this debate is Apples DRM, which is one of the most reasonable out there. This is not a case, so far, of Apple abusing the customer so much as it is of Apple having so many customers. For real DRM abuse stories, check out what Sony did on some of the DVD's they sold. Or Napsters subscription service where you have rights to the music as long as you keep making the payments, every month. Or try to decipher M$'s DRM policy. Or try to sign up for Sony's Connect Store on a Mac.
I personally don't think it will ever come to the point where Apple will pull iTunes from any country, at least, I certainly hope not.
As for the post you quoted, sorry. People who insist that everyone who doesn't agree with them is mentally defective touch a hot button for me. Especially when their reasoning is.....suspect.
Cheers,
Peter
I understand what you are saying, and empathize with your concern. I just find it bewildering that the focus of so much of this debate is Apples DRM, which is one of the most reasonable out there. This is not a case, so far, of Apple abusing the customer so much as it is of Apple having so many customers. For real DRM abuse stories, check out what Sony did on some of the DVD's they sold. Or Napsters subscription service where you have rights to the music as long as you keep making the payments, every month. Or try to decipher M$'s DRM policy. Or try to sign up for Sony's Connect Store on a Mac.
I personally don't think it will ever come to the point where Apple will pull iTunes from any country, at least, I certainly hope not.
As for the post you quoted, sorry. People who insist that everyone who doesn't agree with them is mentally defective touch a hot button for me. Especially when their reasoning is.....suspect.
rroach3753
Sep 28, 12:00 PM
If I touch it on the southwest corner will it not work? ;)
snowmentality
Mar 30, 12:35 PM
I'm not surprised, but I don't like it.
One of the things I like most about the Mac is the amount of well-designed, affordable third-party applications available. On Windows my choices seemed to be either a) crappy and free or b) usable and expensive ($100+). I've bought a ton of software for the Mac that cost $20-30 and is beautiful.
The Mac App Store is fine as an option -- there really are users who would otherwise never even know about apps that didn't come with their machine, for whom a curated, controlled list of easily-installed apps opens up their world. It's a great way to do a list of recommended or highlighted apps -- sort of a nicer http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/. But it can't be the only option, not with the restrictions and fees it entails.
I'm okay with a "walled garden" for my phone. I don't want to tinker with my phone, I just want to use it. But I do sometimes need and want to tinker with things on my MBP, in order to do the real, heavy-duty work I need to do. And Apple has a lot of OS X users like me -- professionals in creative, scientific, or engineering fields whose work requires them to tinker. Hell, how would anyone even develop applications if OS X became an iOS-style walled garden?
For these reasons, I think it's awfully short-sighted of Apple to restrict design awards to apps in the App Store. Some applications with great design just won't be suitable for the App Store, because they're more niche or developer-oriented. Apple should still recognize good design and development for those applications.
I get that this might be a temporary thing to promote the App Store, since it's new. I hope that's all it's about.
One of the things I like most about the Mac is the amount of well-designed, affordable third-party applications available. On Windows my choices seemed to be either a) crappy and free or b) usable and expensive ($100+). I've bought a ton of software for the Mac that cost $20-30 and is beautiful.
The Mac App Store is fine as an option -- there really are users who would otherwise never even know about apps that didn't come with their machine, for whom a curated, controlled list of easily-installed apps opens up their world. It's a great way to do a list of recommended or highlighted apps -- sort of a nicer http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/. But it can't be the only option, not with the restrictions and fees it entails.
I'm okay with a "walled garden" for my phone. I don't want to tinker with my phone, I just want to use it. But I do sometimes need and want to tinker with things on my MBP, in order to do the real, heavy-duty work I need to do. And Apple has a lot of OS X users like me -- professionals in creative, scientific, or engineering fields whose work requires them to tinker. Hell, how would anyone even develop applications if OS X became an iOS-style walled garden?
For these reasons, I think it's awfully short-sighted of Apple to restrict design awards to apps in the App Store. Some applications with great design just won't be suitable for the App Store, because they're more niche or developer-oriented. Apple should still recognize good design and development for those applications.
I get that this might be a temporary thing to promote the App Store, since it's new. I hope that's all it's about.
Nekbeth
Apr 26, 10:29 AM
I'm aware of that ulbador, and my point is that like any other language.. you get better with time & practice. Nobody FORCES you or dejo to read my threads, or answer them. If you see lack of objective-C fundamentals, just go to another thread (for Pros), is that simple. Some people like to help, others laugh, others ignore you or get frustrated because they can't read ... who cares man, if you don't like the thread just go to another one but never try to discourage a person who's starting to learn, that I'm against.
(about the code) Thanks for pointing that out, I needed a variable, after that I created a timer appropriately and used the variable as a reference to trigger my cancel methods (invalidate).
(about the code) Thanks for pointing that out, I needed a variable, after that I created a timer appropriately and used the variable as a reference to trigger my cancel methods (invalidate).
balamw
Oct 2, 10:46 PM
Hello "lawyer". No legal permission is required for reverse engineering.
The DMCA changed that, and until it's tested in court anything where encryption is used or even potentially used is not "safe" to reverse engineer in the US.
B
The DMCA changed that, and until it's tested in court anything where encryption is used or even potentially used is not "safe" to reverse engineer in the US.
B
ctdonath
Oct 1, 04:12 PM
FTFY.
But England moreso than other regions. The notion has been fully internalized by the population at large.
You're just making history up. There is no allodial title to land in US law.
So what's your theory about why the American Colonists got so uppity? Yes, we do not have formal allodial title, but cultural attitude is that we do (or at least a close proximity), and insofar as we don't it's more a matter of "protection money" than "belongs to the government". Tell an American his government "owns" his property and he'll laugh at you.
There's enough space.
Not within 20 miles of 1 Infinite Loop.
But England moreso than other regions. The notion has been fully internalized by the population at large.
You're just making history up. There is no allodial title to land in US law.
So what's your theory about why the American Colonists got so uppity? Yes, we do not have formal allodial title, but cultural attitude is that we do (or at least a close proximity), and insofar as we don't it's more a matter of "protection money" than "belongs to the government". Tell an American his government "owns" his property and he'll laugh at you.
There's enough space.
Not within 20 miles of 1 Infinite Loop.
Paix247
Jan 9, 08:57 AM
Slim MacBook Pro
Redesigned Mac Mini
Larger ACD (No Redesign) & Price Drops
iTunes Movie updates (rental & DVD)
Redesigned Mac Mini
Larger ACD (No Redesign) & Price Drops
iTunes Movie updates (rental & DVD)
xparaparafreakx
Mar 24, 01:21 AM
A bunch of ********* kids I'm guessing. "Oh, lets steal the $400 Xbox instead of the $1500 TV or the laptop." What is this world coming to??
Back when I was about 8, we were jacked. However it was our house and the house next to us. We lost all of our console GAMES, the system still there. The other house lost their console SYSTEM, the games still there. Its nice to know that the world has not changed 10 years later.
Back when I was about 8, we were jacked. However it was our house and the house next to us. We lost all of our console GAMES, the system still there. The other house lost their console SYSTEM, the games still there. Its nice to know that the world has not changed 10 years later.
robogobo
May 3, 05:49 AM
And your option is...?
Personally, I'd like to know if the deletion that results from turning off Location Services results in slower response time when you turn it back on. Does turning it back on give you a sufficient download from the mothership to get you up and running again quickly?
I turn off Location Services frequently for a variety of reasons... battery life, roaming internationally, etc. I'd hate to have this non-issue result in slower GPS every time I toggle Location.
Bingo, where are the options? This is the thing with the cache. Five bucks says people will be complaining about poor Location Services performance after the update.
Personally, I'd like to know if the deletion that results from turning off Location Services results in slower response time when you turn it back on. Does turning it back on give you a sufficient download from the mothership to get you up and running again quickly?
I turn off Location Services frequently for a variety of reasons... battery life, roaming internationally, etc. I'd hate to have this non-issue result in slower GPS every time I toggle Location.
Bingo, where are the options? This is the thing with the cache. Five bucks says people will be complaining about poor Location Services performance after the update.
gugy
Sep 26, 11:16 AM
The reasons people HATE this new version so much:
1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.
2. It's a free update.
3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.
4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.
5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.
:p
so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.
1. It adds a lot of features and answers requests.
2. It's a free update.
3. This is a photography event, and people were caught off guard when Apple showed their photography product, despite the Aperture image right on the invitation.
4. Apple never releases hardware on Tuesdays, so there is no hope for any MacBook Pro updates tomorrow.
5. There will never be another chance for new MacBook Pros. We now know that the current models will be sold forever and ever, even after Apple goes out of business, which will happen by the end of the year.
:p
so true.
This forum is mostly visited by whiners.
So many people wanted the MPB at a photography event. what a joke. they did not get it and now all the crying.
Basically you have just to ignore these folks if you want to have a nice experience at Macrumors.
bigjnyc
Apr 26, 08:55 AM
So who was that guy in the blue shirt who kept yelling at them to stop and kept getting in between them to stop it? was that not a McDonalds employee? or is that just being ignored in this crusade?
slb
Oct 28, 02:56 PM
Logic Pro 7 has yet to be cracked, so Apple has people who know how to do copyright protection. I suspect Leopard will employ very strong TPM integration compared to Tiger.
spiderman0616
Mar 18, 11:46 AM
I've had the opposite. A lot of my friends are Android owners and have flat out told me that they want to switch to iPhone after checking mine out. Most of them complain about battery life and smoothness of interface.
My best friend was checking out my phone the other day (he's a Droid Incredible owner) and using my IMDB app, and I heard him mumble to himself, "I can't wait to get one of these." He hates that the scrolling on his phone always locks up and stutters. He also hates that he can't get through a whole day on one battery charge even though he is REALLY anal about killing processes.
The office I used to work in was about half and half iPhone/Android. The sales guys all used the original Motorola Droid. They all swore by it. Once that iPhone 4 for Verizon dropped, I saw a lot of people changing their tune. About half of the Android users walked in with them in the next couple of weeks.
I now work in downtown Chicago, and being a gadget lover, I often look at what people are using on my walk to the train station. (EVERYONE is carrying some kind of gadget or another). I see about 75% iPhones/iPods and about 25% of everything else. I have seen exactly TWO Android tablets out in the wild and about a zillion iPads. (Haven't seen any iPad 2s yet).
A lot of people bought android stuff because they hated AT&T. I have always looked as Android as a me too product. It just depends on how you look at it and what you need. I am not even an Apple lover, but the iPhone 4 was the best phone I tried at the time.
My best friend was checking out my phone the other day (he's a Droid Incredible owner) and using my IMDB app, and I heard him mumble to himself, "I can't wait to get one of these." He hates that the scrolling on his phone always locks up and stutters. He also hates that he can't get through a whole day on one battery charge even though he is REALLY anal about killing processes.
The office I used to work in was about half and half iPhone/Android. The sales guys all used the original Motorola Droid. They all swore by it. Once that iPhone 4 for Verizon dropped, I saw a lot of people changing their tune. About half of the Android users walked in with them in the next couple of weeks.
I now work in downtown Chicago, and being a gadget lover, I often look at what people are using on my walk to the train station. (EVERYONE is carrying some kind of gadget or another). I see about 75% iPhones/iPods and about 25% of everything else. I have seen exactly TWO Android tablets out in the wild and about a zillion iPads. (Haven't seen any iPad 2s yet).
A lot of people bought android stuff because they hated AT&T. I have always looked as Android as a me too product. It just depends on how you look at it and what you need. I am not even an Apple lover, but the iPhone 4 was the best phone I tried at the time.
QuarterSwede
Oct 12, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure I understand the people who (a) don't believe this is coming soon, or (b) don't believe it's coming at all because "people won't use it - it's too small." That's garbage.
Not everything Apple releases has to be an "earth shattering" revolution. Some stuff can just have a niche market and be better than what's out there. They're in it to make money first and foremost. And frankly, if people could carry an iPod-sized object, with wireless headphones, and that could play widescreen movies on a 4" or so screen (AND, oh by the way, carry their iTunes library to boot), it would be the death of the portable DVD player.
No, that's not a huge market, or a cash cow by any means. Nor is it a revolutionary product. But at the end of the day, it's pretty damned cool which means most of us will buy it (despite our attempts not to), and it's certainly another cha-ching to add to the list for Apple.
That's exactly what happened with the iPod. It was just another mp3 player but had an interface that was very simple to use, plus it looked much nicer than the competition.
Not everything Apple releases has to be an "earth shattering" revolution. Some stuff can just have a niche market and be better than what's out there. They're in it to make money first and foremost. And frankly, if people could carry an iPod-sized object, with wireless headphones, and that could play widescreen movies on a 4" or so screen (AND, oh by the way, carry their iTunes library to boot), it would be the death of the portable DVD player.
No, that's not a huge market, or a cash cow by any means. Nor is it a revolutionary product. But at the end of the day, it's pretty damned cool which means most of us will buy it (despite our attempts not to), and it's certainly another cha-ching to add to the list for Apple.
That's exactly what happened with the iPod. It was just another mp3 player but had an interface that was very simple to use, plus it looked much nicer than the competition.
louis Fashion
Dec 16, 05:43 PM
Ill be handing out grains of salt.
Quote of the day. Fanned!!
Oh, sorry we can't fan here. .....
Quote of the day. Fanned!!
Oh, sorry we can't fan here. .....
wlh99
Apr 26, 05:44 PM
I'm aware of that ulbador, and my point is that like any other language.. you get better with time & practice. Nobody FORCES you or dejo to read my threads, or answer them. If you see lack of objective-C fundamentals, just go to another thread (for Pros), is that simple. Some people like to help, others laugh, others ignore you or get frustrated because they can't read ... who cares man, if you don't like the thread just go to another one but never try to discourage a person who's starting to learn, that I'm against.
(about the code) Thanks for pointing that out, I needed a variable, after that I created a timer appropriately and used the variable as a reference to trigger my cancel methods (invalidate).
Have you read the documentation for NSTimer?
+ (NSTimer *)scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:(NSTimeInterval)seconds invocation:(NSInvocation *)invocation repeats:(BOOL)repeats
The above line has your answer.
(about the code) Thanks for pointing that out, I needed a variable, after that I created a timer appropriately and used the variable as a reference to trigger my cancel methods (invalidate).
Have you read the documentation for NSTimer?
+ (NSTimer *)scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:(NSTimeInterval)seconds invocation:(NSInvocation *)invocation repeats:(BOOL)repeats
The above line has your answer.
Machead III
Sep 12, 07:54 AM
If they can't be burnt to DVD they're gonna have to be mad cheap.
Mike31c
Nov 18, 10:01 AM
I don't see why AMD and Intel OSX laptops can't live together... We all see the windoze users have their choice of AMD or Intel, dual cores or single cores... why can't Apple/OSX?
As for the G5 ibook/powerbook, well judging by the way the G5 iMac was built, then frankly, I don't see why a G5 laptop could not of been built. The current line of iMacs practically IS a notebook on a vertical stand so they could of put it in a notebook form. Besides, how do we know the G5 iBook does not exist?
I mean besides from the fact that "unless Mr. Jobs says it exists, it does not exist" logic. :p
Come on folks, there has to be a LOT of stuff in the R&D labs of Apple that we will never know of or see because of a change of the Master Plan of Steve Jobs:
As for the G5 ibook/powerbook, well judging by the way the G5 iMac was built, then frankly, I don't see why a G5 laptop could not of been built. The current line of iMacs practically IS a notebook on a vertical stand so they could of put it in a notebook form. Besides, how do we know the G5 iBook does not exist?
I mean besides from the fact that "unless Mr. Jobs says it exists, it does not exist" logic. :p
Come on folks, there has to be a LOT of stuff in the R&D labs of Apple that we will never know of or see because of a change of the Master Plan of Steve Jobs:
fsudaft
Mar 23, 11:41 AM
I'm a friend of rtdgoldfish, we hang out and shoot the crap and play games. I don't think the area we live in has wifi stealing laws, but you never know until someone gets arrested for it. But since he doesn't run a business or have any confidential information on his computer that i know about, i doubt that there will be any thing the police here can do about it.
He's a pretty nice guy and I was surprised when he called me late one night to tell me what happened, he lives in a pretty tranquil place. the funny thing about this is that it seems like he's been doing the whole investigation while he police just sit around and wait for his information. I hope he gets his stuff back though.
He's a pretty nice guy and I was surprised when he called me late one night to tell me what happened, he lives in a pretty tranquil place. the funny thing about this is that it seems like he's been doing the whole investigation while he police just sit around and wait for his information. I hope he gets his stuff back though.
snberk103
Apr 14, 09:19 PM
Just because hijackings are down doesn't mean that TSA is actually working. Since 9/11 we've had a guy who got c4 into his shoe, another who lit his underwear on fire...
bearbo
Jan 12, 02:36 AM
I would love to see you come up with something revolutionary.
just because i can't come up with something revolutionary doesn't mean i can't say other things aren't.
The hardware, what do you want them to do? Come out with a floating phone? They do have to make something that is relatively affordable. They can't possibly make a platinum apple phone with surround sound speakers floating around it and tag it at $20,000. You would complain anyway.
hm. i think the point of revolutionary is so its function is not so obvious?
and just for the record, i don't want platium apple phone with surround sound speaker floating around it. ew.
again, i'm not saying iphone is crap, it's not the best thing in the world. gah
What else were you hoping for?
if he want to call it revolutionary, i was hoping for something revolutionary.
just because i can't come up with something revolutionary doesn't mean i can't say other things aren't.
The hardware, what do you want them to do? Come out with a floating phone? They do have to make something that is relatively affordable. They can't possibly make a platinum apple phone with surround sound speakers floating around it and tag it at $20,000. You would complain anyway.
hm. i think the point of revolutionary is so its function is not so obvious?
and just for the record, i don't want platium apple phone with surround sound speaker floating around it. ew.
again, i'm not saying iphone is crap, it's not the best thing in the world. gah
What else were you hoping for?
if he want to call it revolutionary, i was hoping for something revolutionary.
ThirteenXIII
Dec 14, 02:20 PM
seems sketchy, Apple wouldnt put it all in VZ's hands at all to keep it secure, Apple does a fine job at that already.
And i dont think itd be that much of a difference if they release att / vz iphone separately they do device updates for portables, desktops differently and the usual ipod updates etc.
But the fact remains how are they going to exactly implement two separate phones for carriers that use different cell tech, and implement them properly
I highly doubt there will be a vz iphone for as much as id like one...not until other 4g/lte services are out in the wild
And i dont think itd be that much of a difference if they release att / vz iphone separately they do device updates for portables, desktops differently and the usual ipod updates etc.
But the fact remains how are they going to exactly implement two separate phones for carriers that use different cell tech, and implement them properly
I highly doubt there will be a vz iphone for as much as id like one...not until other 4g/lte services are out in the wild